Article VIII, Section 29 of the Texas Constitution
Added November 3, 2015:
(a) After January 1, 2016, no law may be enacted that imposes a transfer tax on a transaction that conveys fee simple title to real property.
(b) This section does not prohibit: (1) the imposition of a general business tax measured by business activity; (2) the imposition of a tax on the production of minerals; (3) the imposition of a tax on the issuance of title insurance; or (4) the change of a rate of a tax in existence on January 1, 2016.
It is unclear why the Legislature numbered this new section 29, instead of the next-available 25.
- Vernon's Annotated Constitution of the State of Texas (this multi-volume and up-to-date resource is available at all law libraries and many municipal libraries)
- The Texas State Constitution: A Reference Guide (this one-volume resource is available at most law libraries and some municipal libraries)
- The Constitution of the State of Texas: An Annotated and Comparative Analysis (this two-volume resource is available at most law libraries and some municipal libraries)
- Constitution of the State of Texas (1876) (this resource is published and maintained by the University of Texas School of Law)
- Amendments to the Texas Constitution Since 1876 (this resource is published and regularly updated by the Legislative Council)
- Reports Analyzing Proposed Amendments (this resource is published and regularly updated by the Legislative Reference Library)